Agenda item 1b.

Megan J. Crowhurst mjcrowhu at EMAIL.UNC.EDU
Tue Mar 9 01:22:24 UTC 1999

While the voting on agenda item 1a proceeds, we'll be continuing with the
discussion of agenda items. The next item we'll discuss is agenda item 1b
(parts i and ii). A lot of good ideas have already been put forth
concerning it, which we have tried to summarize below.  However, the
nature of email discussions is that sometimes threads get lost.  In this
discussion, where we are trying to vote and have summaries,  this is
particularly true.  If you believe that you have not been heard on an idea
concerning the next agenda item, please restate it during this week's
discussion.

ITEM 1 (continued).

B. PURPOSE OF PROFESSIONALIZATION AND OF GALA

i. WHAT ARE THE ORGANIZATION'S GENERAL GOALS?

- to be the primary professional organization for issues, questions, and
research related to language and gender as a field of study and as a topic
of public importance.
- have the sort of status that the Linguistic Society of America (the LSA)
has within the United States.  [Note:  this is not to say GALA should or
would be an American organization.]
- a central clearing house, think-tank and business office for "language
and gender research", however this is defined.

What I've read that touches on this seems to be broadly compatible with
the above. Additional discussion/proposals?

ii. WILL THE ORGANIZATION BE MOSTLY VIRTUAL OR A NONPROFIT ENTITY WITH
FUNDED ACTIVITIES?

Most of the discussion I've (Megan C.) seen seems to assume that we'll be
more than a virtual organisation, and that we'll pursue some kind of
educational not-for-profit status (details to be worked out later).
Additional discussion/proposals?

NOTE:  Again, there has already been some wonderful discussion on issues
that take the 'purpose' theme further, such as inter/multidisciplinarity,
feminist orientation, various types of activities, sponsored projects,
etc.  We'll get there--the purpose of this summary and solicitation for
fairly focussed discussion of Item 1b is to get some relatively easy stuff
out of the way first.

Kira, Mary, Monica, Sara, Megan

Megan J. Crowhurst, Ph.D.		Tel:  919-962-1484
Department of Linguistics		Fax:  919-962-3708
The University of North Carolina
318 Dey Hall 014A, CB # 3155
Chapel Hill, NC  27599