Feminism & GALA

Gregory D Greenman II greenm14 at MSU.EDU
Sun May 2 00:50:46 UTC 1999

        Feminism is undoubtably the roots from which any Gender and
Language study has grown, but does it have to be our current stance?  I
think to define ourselves as strictly a feminist organization also limits
our capabilities.  As I. Shaw noted, "work deemed to be feminist is still
discriminated against".  Would this not mean that GALA would be
discriminated against in the Academy as "invalid"?  I completely agree that
we should accept and value any feminist work, but to close ourselves off
from the more widely accept work of non-feminists would, in my opinion, be
a sort of suicide.
        Also, why should any academic organization adopt a political stance
as well?

Just some ideas I've had, feel free to tear them to shreads if need be.

Gregory

Gregory D Greenman II
http://www.msu.edu/~greenm14/
Linguistics Major, Discourse Analysis and Sexuality and Language foci.