Literature on sexist discourse

Miriam Meyerhoff mhoff at LING.ED.AC.UK
Mon Dec 9 11:29:27 UTC 2002

Closer to home, you may find the work of Yumiko Ohara of interest,
especially her analysis of advice shows. Some references are:

Ohara, Yumiko (1999).  Ideology of language and gender: A critical
discourse analysis of Japanese prescriptive texts. In Jeff
Verschueren, ed., Language and ideology: Selected papers from the
sixth International Pragmatics Conference. Vol. 1. Antwerp:IPrA.
422-432.
Ohara, Yumiko, Scott Saft, and Graham Crookes (2001). Towards a
feminist critical pedagogy in a beginning JFL class. Japanese
Language and Literature, 35.

Miriam

--

Miriam Meyerhoff
Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics

ph (131) 651-1836
fax (131) 650-3962

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~mhoff/