Literature on sexist discourse

AJ Blackledge A.J.Blackledge at BHAM.AC.UK
Mon Dec 9 11:35:25 UTC 2002

Also see Yumiko's chapter as follows:

Ohara, Yumiko (2001) Finding one's voice in Japanese:A study of
the pitch levels of L2 users. In Pavlenko, Aneta et. al. (eds.)
Multilingualism, Second Language Learning and Gender. Berlin,
Mouton de Gruyter.

On 9 Dec 2002, at 11:29, Miriam Meyerhoff wrote:

> Closer to home, you may find the work of Yumiko Ohara of interest,
> especially her analysis of advice shows. Some references are:
>
> Ohara, Yumiko (1999).  Ideology of language and gender: A critical
> discourse analysis of Japanese prescriptive texts. In Jeff
> Verschueren, ed., Language and ideology: Selected papers from the
> sixth International Pragmatics Conference. Vol. 1. Antwerp:IPrA.
> 422-432. Ohara, Yumiko, Scott Saft, and Graham Crookes (2001). Towards
> a feminist critical pedagogy in a beginning JFL class. Japanese
> Language and Literature, 35.
>
> Miriam
>
> >?Dear friends,
> >
> >I am planning to review literature on sexist discourse for Japanese
> >feminist s and am beginning with Part Two (Sexist Language and Sexist
> >Discourse) of C ameron's editied volume, The Feminist Critique of
> >Language, 2nd edition.  Co uld anyone kindly refer me to other
> >important books and articles on the topic?
> >
> >Best,
> >
> >Sumiyuki Yukawa
> >Toyama U.
> >Japan.
>
> --
>
> Miriam Meyerhoff
> Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
> University of Edinburgh
> 40 George Square
> Edinburgh EH8 9LL
> Scotland, UK