Literature on sexist discourse

oebel oebel at CC.SAGA-U.AC.JP
Wed Dec 11 06:03:53 UTC 2002

Dear Sumiyuki, dear all,

in addition, I would like to recommend Hiroko Itakura`s (2001)
"Conversational Dominance and Gender: A study of Japanese speakers in
first and second language contexts". Pragmatics and Beyond New Series,
vol. 89. New York/Amsterdam: John Benjamins. of which my review can be
obtained by clicking on

http://linguistlist.org/issues/13/13-3.html#1.

Furthermore, the following titles might be of interest:

Preisler, B. (1986). Linguistic Sex Roles in Conversation. Social
Variation in the Expression of Tentativeness in English. Berlin: Mouton
de Gruyter.

Kiesling, S.F. (1997). Power and the language of men. In S. Johnson and
U.H. Meinhof (eds.) Language and Masculinity. Oxford: Blackwell,
pp.65-85.

Ehara, Y. et al. (1984). Seisabetsu no esunomesodorojii: Taimen
komyunikeeshon jookyoo ni okeru kenryoku (engl: Ethnomethodology of
Sexism: Power in face-to=face communication). Gendai Shakai Gaku
(Contemporary Sociology) 18, pp.143-176.

James, D. and Drakich, J. (1993). Understanding gender differences in
amount of talk: A critical review of research. In D. Tannen (ed.) Gender
and Conversational Interaction. Oxford University Press, pp.281-312.

Hope it proves to be useful!?
Best
Guido Oebel

Dr. Guido Oebel - associate professor -
Official in charge of TestDaF-Centre
Saga National University
Faculty for Culture and Education
Honjo-machi 1, JP 840-8502 Saga-shi
Fon/Fax: 0081-952-28-8299
e-mail: oebel@cc.saga-u.ac.jp

Dear friends,

I am planning to review literature on sexist discourse for Japanese
feminists and am beginning with Part Two (Sexist Language and Sexist
Discourse) of Cameron's editied volume, The Feminist Critique of
Language, 2nd edition.  Could anyone kindly refer me to other important
books and articles on the topic?

Best,

Sumiyuki Yukawa
Toyama U.
Japan.

Miriam Meyerhoff
Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
University of Edinburgh
40 George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LL
Scotland, UK