Linguistic Value Judgements

Miriam Meyerhoff Miriam.Meyerhoff at ED.AC.UK
Sun Mar 3 10:21:54 UTC 2002

Also consider looking at the work of Nancy Niedzielski (Journal of
Language and Social Psychology 1999). She ended up focusing her
dissertation on regional differences but designed the study to test
perceptions of social class as well.

mm

>I have a student who wants to work on a project analysing how people
>react to answerphone messages according to their analysis of the
>speaker's gender and social position. Unfortunately, the only
>references I can find are rather old (1970s) and I was hoping that
>there might be someone on this list who is working on linguistic
>value judgements, or who could recommend some more recent work on
>this area.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Emma.

>Emma Moore
>University of Manchester
>E-mail: <mailto:e.f.moore at ntlworld.com>e.f.moore at ntlworld.com

Miriam Meyerhoff
Department of Theoretical and Applied Linguistics
University of Edinburgh
40 George Square
Edinburgh EH8 9LL
Scotland, UK