looking for participants for AAA panel

Andrea Jacobs amjacobs at DCA.NET
Wed Mar 19 15:49:38 UTC 2003

Dear all,

I am looking for people to participate in a panel I am organizing for
the 2003 AAA meetings.  The focus of the proposed panel is the use of
language to negotiate gender boundaries and resist sexist and/or
heterosexist socio-cultural practices and ideologies.  The papers for
the panel should examine how the language use practices of individuals
and communities challenge existing cultural norms of gender behavior.
 How alternative language use practices can be understood as conscious
or unconscious attempts to subvert cultural norms and restrictive
concepts of masculinity and femininity.  My own work deals with language
use strategies of Israeli feminists and how language is can be a tool
for social change.  If you are interested in participating in this panel
please send a short description of your work and the topic you would
like to present for the panel to me by March 25.  I am particularly
interested in papers that examine language use among transgender or
intersex  individuals.  Please forward this to anyone you think would be
interested in participating. I can be contacted at amjacobs at dca.net.

Thank you,

Andrea Jacobs