Great seeing you!!

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Thu May 15 23:54:43 UTC 2003

Hi Candy,

Sorry for the silence; I've been swamped trying to catch up after all the
fun last weekend. Thanks so much for your talk--it was fabulous (of
course). You do such a great job of showing how Family B engages in
knowledge exploration (and I do like that term better than learning for
what you're looking at--it captures what's going on very nicely). They
really are the perfect family. No wonder you're so attached to them! I know
that plowing through all that data must be a huge project, but it would be
great if you could turn up some examples of how the ideas that the parents
introduce to the kids show up in other contexts (evidence of "learning," I
guess, but also a sense that these interactions have larger consequences
for how the kids use language).

I agree with you that including some discussion of Family A, because they
have such serious problems, may distract from your larger point about
knowledge exploration. It would be interesting to see a family that may be
parent-centered rather than child-centered, like Family A, but without such
severe problems. It could be a useful contrast with Family A, in fact,
since it would show that a family that doesn't accommodate to children as
dramatically as Family B could still be effective in raising children.

Please do send your latest papers! I was selfishly sorry to hear that your
next book will be with Blackwell, since as you know I'd love to get your
work into the series at some point, so I do hope you'll consider Oxford for
your next project. And of course JLA would welcome a submission from you
too!

Best,

Mary

p.s. Thanks so much for thinking of Valerie--I'll pass on the information
you sent.

--On Monday, May 12, 2003 12:15 PM -0700 Candy Goodwin
<mgoodwin at ANTHRO.UCLA.EDU> wrote:

> Mary, GREAT seeing you at the conference!! Fun to see you in your new
> environment, too.
>
> I will send my latest papers...
>
> I'm thinking that Valerie should get in touch with  Sharla Jones
> <sharla at ucla.edu> for a copy of her dissertation.  It's on the
> politics of deafness. It's in Education, too
> It's a good review of the lit and should be helpful.
> Title is "Absence from Influence: Perspectives of Administrators and
> Graduates on the Deaf Community's Exclusion from the Decision Making
> process in deaf education."
>
> Also, any comments on the paper, its organization, etc. would be much
> appreciated.
> I'm thinking, maybe I should not deal with Family B and just talk
> about positive knowledge explorations? What do you think. I know
> showing the data after your question was a mistake, probably. I do
> need to show some of the more positive aspects of things. Looking for
> advice...
>
> thanks, Candy
> --
> --