Call for Papers: SALSA 2004

IKEDA Tomoko ikedat at MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU
Tue Nov 4 07:27:16 UTC 2003

CALL FOR PAPERS -- SALSA 2004
(Apologies for multiple postings. Please forward to interested parties.)

The SYMPOSIUM ABOUT LANGUAGE AND SOCIETY--AUSTIN is pleased to
announce its 12th annual meeting to be held APRIL 16-18, 2004, at the
University of Texas at Austin.  We encourage the submission of abstracts on
research that addresses the relationship of language to culture and society.
Desired frameworks include but are not limited to:

Linguistic Anthropology
Sociolinguistics
Ethnography of Communication
Language and Identity
Speech Play, Verbal Art, and Poetics
Language, Media, and Technology
Language and Social Interaction
Discourse Analysis
Conversation Analysis
Language Vitality
Language Socialization
Gesture and Talk in Interaction

Deadline for receipt of abstracts: January 15, 2004

2004 KEYNOTE SPEAKERS
Susan Ervin-Tripp, University of California, Berkeley
Emanuel Schegloff, University of California, Los Angeles
Jurgen Streeck, University of Texas, Austin
Stanton Wortham, University of Pennsylvania

Papers delivered at the conference will be published as a special edition of
the Texas Linguistic Forum. Speakers will be allowed 20 minutes for
presentation and 10 minutes for discussion. Papers will be selected based on
the evaluation of an anonymously written abstract, which may not exceed 600
words. We will accept only electronic submissions.

SUBMISSIONS
Please email your abstract to utsalsa at uts.cc.utexas.edu,
Subject: SALSA 12 Abstract.
Please include in the following order:
1. Title of the paper
2. Author's name
3. Author's affiliation
4. Address, phone number, and email address at which the author wishes to
    be notified
5. A 600-word abstract*
6. A short 200-word abstract* for publication in the conference program
7. Equipment needs (e.g., overhead projector, computer projection, etc.)
*Please send the abstracts as a Word attachment as well as in the body of
the email message.

Visit the SALSA web page for submission guidelines and conference details:
http://www.utexas.edu/students/salsa/index.shtml

Deadline for receipt of abstracts is JANUARY 15, 2004. Late submissions
will not be accepted, and we cannot accept papers that are to be published
elsewhere. Notification of acceptance or rejection will be sent in
mid-February 2004.  Pre-registration fees will be $20 for students and
$40 for non-students, and on-site registration fees will be $25 for students
and $45 for non-students. Completed papers must be brought to the conference
to be included in the published proceedings.