inquiry about flirtatious language

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Feb 6 15:11:43 UTC 2004

At 2:10 PM -0600 2/5/04, Amy L Sheldon wrote:
>Re the WSJ:
>Flirting must be as old as the hills as a strategy for getting ahead in a
>system, or getting things done.
>
>what's the dividing line between flirting and 'charming the pants off"
>someone?
>Former has a sexual intention one is ready to follow thru on?
>latter doesn't have that intention?

Just a codicil on this:  I don't think it's safe to infer that the
flirter is ready to follow through on the flirtation if the flirtee
gives him/her the appropriate uptake.  It may be claimed that the
flirter presents him/herself as having that intention, but flirting
is often an end rather than a means.  (The 'sexual intention' may
well be part of the expression of interest, but again, there's often
an "acts-as-if" pretense here.)

larry