Sunday Times article

Lutfi M Hussein lutfi_hussein at YAHOO.COM
Thu Nov 18 14:45:15 UTC 2004

Hi,

I would just add two points:

First, the article is essentializing the gender
identity: it's claiming all (middle-class) white men
have equal social power and they all share the
responsibility for gender-based social injustice (or
not). It does not recognize that being a middle-class
white male is a cultural and social construct rather
than a biological reality.

Second, the article implies (if not outright claims)
middle-class white males are no longer privileged in
society; that is, they no longer have the social power
and material means that they had once enjoyed (before
feminism came around and changed things).

This article does sound like a good exercise for
undergraduates.

Best wishes, Lutfi

http://www.shef.ac.uk/english/language/staff/emmam.html

> [...]
> They are useless at school.
> > There is also a fervent determination in
> government circles to stop them enjoying the
> pleasures of nicotine, of which they are the
> country?s most resolute aficionados ? and they are
> perpetually upbraided for getting drop-dead drunk
> every night. The clock is therefore ticking on most
> of their preferred pastimes.
> > Meanwhile, they have middle-class and toff social
> commentators with whom to contend. It is perfectly
> okay to sneer at the white working-class male with
> his predilection for garish clothing in man-made
> fibres and tattoos, his rude grammar and utter lack
> of social etiquette and refinement. No quango or
> pressure group will censure you for a spot of
> chav-bashing. There are plenty of people happy to
> earn a living kicking the hell out of the white
> working-class male. And why not? It?s risk-free
> journalism, after all.
> > Bad enough, then, to have the fourth estate and
> the polity slapping you around the head; but maybe
> we ought to draw the line at the judiciary and the
> police.
> > I wonder if the name Harry Stanley rings any bells
> with you? Harry was shot dead by two Metropolitan
> police officers for the crime of walking down a
> street while carrying a table leg in a plastic bag.
> You will probably be aware that the Met?s armed
> police officers went on strike recently following
> the suspension of the two officers in question, but
> the name of Harry Stanley was scarcely mentioned in
> the press reports, all of which focused on the
> industrial action taken by the armed policemen in
> support of their trigger-happy colleagues.
> > Harry was, of course, a white working-class male.
> If he had been black or gay or female or, for that
> matter, a barrister or a newspaper editor, I think
> it is fair to say the events would have been
> reported differently. There would have been voices
> expressing outrage at the killing of someone deemed
> to hail from either an oppressed minority group or a
> ?respectable? profession.
> > The clamouring for prosecution of the officers ?
> rather than their mere suspension ? would surely not
> have been resisted by the Crown Prosecution Service.
> But Harry?s killing has resulted in no prosecution.
> And there has been no great clamouring. Be honest:
> you can?t recall even hearing the name Harry
> Stanley, can you? The name Colin Stagg may be more
> familiar to you. He murdered that pretty girl Rachel
> Nickell on Wimbledon Common, didn?t he? Well, no he
> didn?t, it would seem.
> > It?s true that in 1993 he was arrested for this
> horrible crime and spent a year in prison on remand
> ? but the court threw out the prosecution because
> quite clearly he?d been ensnared in a crude police
> honeytrap.
> > Now, again at this point if Stagg had been
> anything other than a rather thick chav, a white
> working-class male par excellence with dubious
> habits and an unengaging personality, we might have
=== message truncated ===

=====
Lutfi M Hussein
lutfi_hussein at yahoo.com