Language, Gender and Healthy Eating

Barbara LeMaster lemaster at CSULB.EDU
Thu Apr 7 15:47:46 UTC 2005

Dear Chamae,

I got lost in your explanation of going to Mexico.  It was your son you
were taking, but they needed a note from "his mother" - whose mother?
And if "his mom would need one from me" - whose mom?  And why wouldn't
they let you into Mexico without it?

Barbara
On Apr 6, 2005, at 6:47 PM, ernest vivo wrote:

> Dear Lucy, Corsetts,cosmetics,corrective surgery,clubs or gyms,
> jewelry, and the list reaches right down to the everyday phrase,
> "oh,boy!". Women are image-bound as an antiquated need to attract a
> husband/money-maker. What's "oh,boy!" got to do with it? Or the
> Chinese saying: "Girls are like worms in your rice. They cost you
> money." It is so old in most every culture that an innocent sounding
> phrase like 'oh,boy' is forgotten to have come from the desire to have
> male children,not girls.{To the point of infanticide! even these
> days}.    So, for years - 9 nine as or yesterday - I repeatedly tell
> my daughter that " She can't do that [ any activitiy will do ] cuz
> you're a girl." Yes, it has got her ire more than a few times and
> gasps from any adults or older kids about at the time. One more
> thing:fifteen yesrs ago I was takingmy son to Mexico for a fortnight.
> The airline agent would not sell me a ticket without a notorized
> statement from his mom. When I asked if his mom would need one from me
> if she were taking our son, she promptly admitted that she would not.
> Hence, I said that the rule was discriminatory and invalid. "Ok," says
> she,"I'll sell you a ticket,but Mexico still will not let you into the
> country." I got the notorized letter. Anyway, men get dissed,too.
> What's the name of the company?  More letters would be useful. Enjoy
> the juice, Chamae
>
> >From: Lucy Horder <lucy.horder at BRITISHLIBRARY.NET>
>  >To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>  >Subject: Language, Gender and Healthy Eating
>  >Date: Thu, 1 Jan 1970 03:17:45 +0100
>  >
>  >Dear List members,
>  >
>  >Recently, I decided to buy a juicer. According to the literature,
> juicers
>  >are a great way to fit in your RDA of 5 portions of fruit and veg if
> you're
>  >like me and don't really enjoy eating fruit.
>  >
>  >The juicer I ended up buying included a leaflet that gave some tips
> on
>  >healthy eating, as well as a few recipes and ideas. I was stunned by
> the
>  >inclusion of the following paragraphs in this guidance:
>  >
>  >"The average woman - say someone who weighs 10 and a half stone -
> uses in an
>  >average day around 2000-2200 calories. Of those calories, 1400-1500
> will be
>  >burned by her body performing its everyday bodily activities - heart
>  >pumping, tissue renewing, general maintenance and functions.
>  >
>  >A mere 600-700 calories will be burned by her preparing and taking
> the
>  >children to school, going to work all day, cooking tea for her
> children and
>  >dinner for her husband, followed by perhaps an hours ironing!"
> [...]
Dr. Barbara LeMaster
Associate Professor
Departments of Anthropology and Linguistics
FO3-320
California State University, Long Beach
1250 Bellflower Boulevard
Long Beach, CA 90840