Language, Gender and Healthy Eating

Lucy Horder lucy.horder at BRITISHLIBRARY.NET
Tue Apr 12 19:48:46 UTC 2005

Dear colleagues,
Thanks for the volume of responses on this topic. I'm encouraged by the
Jane's suggestion that the group might usefully function as a pressure group
of some kind. It strikes me that we have a pool of wide and varied expertise
here and that to harness that could prove highly productive. Valentina's
suggestion of setting up a website to log these kinds of examples of
stereotyping seems like a good starting point. I suppose the next question
needs to be...does anyone want to volunteer their web hosting/design
services?
Best wishes,

Lucy

On 07/04/05 3:43, "Amy Sheldon" <asheldon at TC.UMN.EDU> wrote:

> Valentina,
>
> I don't specify their response for that assignment. They pick a variety of
> things to repair. I ask them to repair something they care about. Some
> repairs are a conversation with a family member.
> Some ARE letters to corporations or their workplace; one was to a
> dictionary, etc.
>
> It's their last assignment of the semester, something they can use to wrap
> a few issues up for themselves by doing something concrete.
>
> I do give them some examples of what previous students' write-ups of what
> they did. But I make it clear that it is up to them to decide what to
> repair. The ones who take it seriously seem to find it cathartic.  Some
> people are perfunctory. It's about 5% of their final grade. So the payoff
> is largely in their own satisfaction, but since I can't monitor what they
> really do unless they give me something like a letter, it's a small risk
> to take, gradewise, that some may not really do the assignment but make it
> up.  I do ask them each to tell the class what they did, however.
>
> I could see using the juicer example as an exercise requiring some
> write-up, perhaps in the form of a letter, however, during the course.
>
> An interesting twist on this assignment: last year, one of the repairs
> turned in sounded fishy; the student reported what they did to the whole
> class and in the written report. I usually take people at their word but
> this one didn't add up and it bugged me. I looked into it further and
> discovered that the student had invented both the situation and the repair
> and lied about other people in the organization as well as their own
> actions.  Pretty brazen. That resulted in their taking a trip to the
> office of Student Academic Integrity and talking to the Director, etc.
>
> I still believe in and give the assignment though.
> Amy
>
> On Wed, 6 Apr 2005, Valentina Pagliai wrote:
>
>> Do you ask the students to write response letters?  Like, letters to
>> the juicer's company?
>>
>> Valentina
>>
>> On Apr 6, 2005, at 5:44 PM, Amy Sheldon wrote:
>>
>>> Another angle on this:
>>> I have an assignment in my Language & Gender class called "Repairing
>>> the
>>> World".  Responding to an item such as the juicer info would be a way