Shakespeare, gender, and language: sources?

Alice F. Freed alice.freed at MONTCLAIR.EDU
Sun May 1 20:18:35 UTC 2005

A friend and colleague, Naomi Liebler, who is also our resident (and
highly acclaimed) Shakespearean scholar, suggested the following:

"The first name that comes to mind is Patricia Parker, an incredibly
brilliant senior scholar at Stanford.  While she's not, strictly
speaking, a "linguist," almost everything she has published shows an
extraordinary sensitivity to nuance, etymology, and other
semantic/linguistic refinements in Shakespearean language, and nearly
everything she writes is inflected towards gender-related issues.  She's
written something like half a dozen books; any of them would do,  The
one with the most intriguing title, for this student's purposes, might
be Literary Fat Ladies.   Another amazingly brilliant Shakespearean is
Marjorie Garber, at Harvard.  Again, while not focusing specifically on
linguistics, her work is both foundational and cutting-edge when it
comes to gender studies."

Alice
Sally McConnell-Ginet wrote:
One of our Cornell undergrads, Amanda Burns, raised the question of
whether there is any linguistically-oriented work on gender & lg in
Shakespeare.  I could not immediately come up w/ anything so am
turning to this list for help.  If anyone has suggestions I am sure
Amanda would appreciate having them asap.  Her e-mail is
alb77 at cornell.edu.  Thanks, Sally