Female Sociolinguists

Emma Moore e.moore at SHEFFIELD.AC.UK
Tue May 24 14:02:34 UTC 2005

Thanks to all of you who have replied to my message. I should point out
that I'm reviewing the dictionary for a journal (rather than a
publishing house) so I can't influence its current form, only comment on
it. It's helpful to have all of your comments for my critique, however.

I should also add that the dictionary seems, otherwise, very good and,
as I said, to be commended for even noting the preponderance of male
academics in the introductory section.

For interest, here's a list of who makes it into the dictionary as
scholars relevant to sociolinguistics:

Academics named:
.	Mikhail Bakhtin
.	Basil Bernstein
.	Derek Bickerton
.	Pierre Bourdieu
.	Norman Fairclough
.	Charles Ferguson
.	J.R.Firth
.	Joshua Fishman
.	Michel Foucault
.	Erving Goffman
.	John Gumperz
.	M.A. K. Halliday
.	Shirley Brice Heath
.	Dell H. Hymes
.	Braj Kachru
.	William Labov
.	Robin Lakoff
.	Bronislaw Malinowski
.	Valentin Nikolaevich Voloshinov
.	Lev Vygotsky

As you'll notice, there are just 2 women: Robin Lakoff and Shirley Brice
Heath. Both highly respected, but it's unclear why these two make it in
and not some of the others you have all mentioned.

Many thanks,
Emma.

PS - Yes, Bourdieu is, of course, a Francophone. My mistake - the
authors of the dictionary do actually say "Anglophone (or European)".

Dr Emma Moore
Lecturer in Sociolinguistics; Admissions Tutor
Department of English Language and Linguistics
University of Sheffield
5 Shearwood Road
Sheffield
S10 2TN