Female Sociolinguists

Miriam Meyerhoff Miriam.Meyerhoff at ED.AC.UK
Tue May 24 16:17:05 UTC 2005

As always this sort of thing quickly turns into some kind of weird
popularity contest, the rules of which never seem to be clearly
articulated by anyone involved.

Speaking now as someone who has seen this debate from several
different perspectives (reviewer, user, contributor and contributing
editor), can I point out that there are a number of factors affecting
who gets included or not in these things. When I reviewed Raj
Mesthrie's (excellent) Conside Encyclopedia of Sociolx, I of course
commented on this and did a count of the number of males and females
in the biographies he provided. I've also recently been involved in a
an even larger project (the 2nd edition of the Encyclopedia of
Language and Linguistics) which has commissioned a very large number
of biographies. (see
http://www1.elsevier.com/homepage/sal/ellei/data/classified/e.html)
Issues of representation in the biographies were discussed at length
by the editorial board.

An even larger number, including many more women and many more
non-Anglophone linguists were originally proposed, but it is my
understanding that they have fallen on the "cutting room floor" (as
it were) because it has not always been possible to find someone who
was willing to write a biography for a deserving person (you'd be
surprised how many people turn down requests like this, even when
they will be paid for them!), and on some occasions people have asked
to, or agreed to write a biography and then failed to produce it by
deadline (despite numerous reminders).

I am not saying that there aren't genuine issues relating to
representation in the field, however, I would like to point out some
of the things that are relevant here (many of which I was not aware
of, for instance, when I reviewed Mesthrie's CES).

mm

Miriam Meyerhoff
Reader, Linguistics & English Language
University of Edinburgh