Gender, language, & global processes

Miriam Meyerhoff mhoff at LING.ED.AC.UK
Tue Feb 7 10:14:12 UTC 2006

>What works have you found useful at this intersection?
>
>Looking forward to hearing about works I may not know.
>
>Niko
>
>Niko Besnier
>Professor of Cultural Anthropology, University of Amsterdam
>Adjunct Professor of Anthropology, University of Hawai'i at Manoa

Dear Niko,

There are a couple of papers I have used in classes which might be
the sorts of things you're after. I imagine you will know these,
since they fall within your own geographic bias.

Dureau, Christine 1998. From sisters to wives: changing contexts of
maternity on Simbo, Western Solomon Islands. In Kalpana Ram &
Margaret Jolly (eds) Maternities and Modernities: Colonial and
postcolonial experiences in Asia and the Pacfic. Cambridge: CUP
239-274.

Jackson, Peter A. 1997. Kathoey><Gay><Man: The historical emergence
of gay male identity in Thailand. In Lenore Manderson & Margaret
Jolly (eds) Sites of Desire: Economies of Pleasure: Sexualities in
Asia and the Pacific. Chicago/London: University of Chicago Press.
166-190.

Both start from changes in naming and referring practices (so you can
readily make connections with, e.g., Sally McConnell-Ginet's work on
this in the lg and gender field). Dureau's piece might be relevant to
you insofar as her case study concerns missionising in the Solomons.
Jackson's piece has connections with your own work and Bill Leap's on
the impact of a global(ising) identity of "gay" on local and
traditional sexual identities.

Lissant Bolton's work on gender and ideologies of tradition and
modernity in Vanuatu might also be relevant.

Bolton, Lissant 2003. Unfolding the Moon: Enacting women's kastom in
Vanuatu. Honolulu: University of Hawai'i Press.

Bolton's focus is not specifically linguistic, but chapters 3-4
(Women without kastom; Ples) cover some of Bolton's work on the use
of vernacular languages vs the national language, and also the role
of the media (specifically radio) in defining, valorising and
gendering kastom knowledge.

Hope that is the sort of thing you were after.

chrz, mm
--

Miriam Meyerhoff
Reader, Linguistics & English Language

ph. +44 131 651-1836 (direct line); 650-3628 or 651-1842 (main office)
fax: +44 131 650-6883

http://www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~mhoff/