Anna Livia

Kira Hall Kira.Hall at COLORADO.EDU
Tue Aug 14 23:10:35 UTC 2007

Dear gender and language friends,

I am writing with the very sad news that one of our dear gender and
language colleagues, Anna Livia, passed away in her sleep last week
at her home in the Bay Area, unexpectedly and to the great shock of
many loved ones she left behind.  Anna, who received her Ph.D. from
the Department of French at UC Berkeley in 1995 and continued to
teach there until just last week, was author and editor of numerous
groundbreaking publications in the area of language, gender, and
sexuality, as well as a brilliantly creative novelist, short story
writer, and translator.  Her publications in linguistics include
_Pronoun Envy: Literary Uses of Linguistic Gender_ (Oxford, 2001),
the edited volume _Queerly Phrased: Language, Gender, and Sexuality_
(Oxford, 1997), and numerous articles on the subject of linguistic
gender in French.  She is survived by her partner Patti Roberts, and
her two children Emma and Asher.

Those of us who knew and loved Anna feel a profound sense of loss.
In addition to a keen and creative intellect, she had the biggest
heart that ever was.

More information regarding Anna's death can be found at the
Department of French website, at http://french.berkeley.edu/news/
news_main.php, or in the Daily Californian at http://www.dailycal.org/
sharticle.php?id=25602.  A memorial service will be held in Berkeley
on October 6th.  Please feel free to contact me if you would like
more information.

I'm so sorry to have to report this news.

With great sadness,

Kira

Kira Hall, Associate Professor
Director, Program in Culture, Language, and Social Practice (CLASP)
Departments of Linguistics and Anthropology
Campus Box 295
University of Colorado
Boulder, Colorado  80309-0295
Phone: (303)492-2912