GALA-L Digest - 9 Feb 2007 to 14 Feb 2007 (#2007-15)

Brian King difrancophile at GMAIL.COM
Thu Feb 15 19:03:51 UTC 2007

James

You might find there's a shortage of published material.  Definitely look at
Cameron & Kulick's new edited book *The Language and Sexuality Reader* for
perspectives on sexuality and language (the David Valentine article might
interest you).  Although it's a bit old now, you could check out this
symposium - http://www.springerlink.com/content/m75831110t3m7054/ - which
seems to address your topic.

You might also be interested in an earlier GALA-L posting, which I've
included below.  Please feel free to contact me.

Brian King (brian.w.king at vuw.ac.nz)

Dear Colleagues,

In preparation for the next AAA, Jenny Davis and I are planning to organize
an
SLA panel on language, gender, and sexuality that focuses on linguistic
practice within divergent communities that haven't traditionally been
represented in
sociolinguistics and linguistic anthropology.  The aim of the panel is to
not
only showcase new work that expands the scope of our field, but to serve as
rebuttal for recent critiques of work on language and sexuality that have
framed it as little more than research on gay and lesbian language.

We're seeking contributions that pull from any major analytical framework
for
the study of language and communication, and that consider ideas about
gendered and sexualized practices, identities, and desires.  Our own work
focuses on sociolinguistic issues of polyamorous practice and identity and
contemporary two-spirit identity, respectively.  Possible issues could
include,
but certainly are not limited to:

bisexuality or pansexuality
kink, fetish, BDSM
polyamory, swinging, or other non-monogamy
asexuality
queer heterosexualities
transgender
intersex
various "third" and "fourth" genders
genderqueer or genderfuck
pornography
"non-traditional" representations of masculinities and femininities
global/historical perspectives on gender and/or sexuality

Please contact Jenny (jennifer.davis at colorado.edu) or myself
(raclaw at colorado.edu) if interested.

Thanks,

Joshua