AAA Meeting Submissions

Kira Hall kkhall at COLORADO.EDU
Sat Feb 24 19:01:02 UTC 2007

(apologies for cross-postings, please forward to interested lists and
individuals)

Dear Society of Linguistic Anthropology members (and potential members),

As this year's SLA Program Director for the 2007 Annual Meeting of the
American Anthropology Association, I am writing to encourage you to
submit invited panels, volunteered panels, and individual papers so
that we can have an exciting meeting in Washington DC this November.
The theme of the 2007 Meeting, as some of you may already know, is
"Difference, (In)Equality and Justice," and the conference will be held
between November 28 and December 2.  I encourage you to consider
orienting your panels to the conference theme (although you do not have
to do so).  The deadline for members to submit all program materials
online is FRIDAY, 30 MARCH, 5 pm EST.

Several of you have contacted me with an interest in submitting a
session for "invited" status.  For those of you unfamiliar with the
conference structure, invited sessions are outstanding panel proposals
selected by the SLA Program Committee that are seen to feature cutting
edge research and theory, topics that cross subdisciplines, and/or
topics related to this year's meeting theme.   If you are organizing a
panel and would like it to be considered for invited status, you need
to notify me of your interest via email (kira.hall at colorado.edu) as
soon as possible, but by March 15th at the very latest.  Please send me
the session abstract as well individual paper abstracts from each of
your participants, so that I can send these out to the SLA Program
Committee for review.  If your panel is selected for invited status, I
will send you an email to this effect by Monday, March 19th, with a
password to use on-line.  You will need this password to answer
question 2 on the invited session proposal form, so as to complete your
on-line submission by the deadline on March 30th.

The word limit for a session abstract is 500 words and for a paper
abstract 250 words.  This information is posted on the AAA website
under "Call for Paper General Information."  For this and all other
questions concerning paper submission, please visit the AAA link at
http://www.aaanet.org/mtgs/mtgs.htm.

Finally, the AAA has asked Program Chairs to encourage their
memberships to consider allotting more time for discussion and
experimenting with non-traditional formats.  For instance, you might
consider organizing a roundtable for one of our invited session slots.
Alternatively, you might think about how to incorporate an
'alternative' presentation structure into your panel.  You can
certainly fall back on the tried-and-true standard sorts of formats if
you wish, but the SLA Program Committee is eager to consider
variations.

Please contact me if you have any questions.  I have attached a copy of
"AAA Helpful Hints" to assist you with submitting your panels or papers
online.  I'm looking forward to an exciting AAA Annual Meeting with
strong SLA participation!

Best,

Kira Hall