Gender & ESL Writing

Esther Kuntjara estherk at PETER.PETRA.AC.ID
Wed Jun 20 01:20:59 UTC 2007

I once conducted a small research on the influence of different gender in
writing. I used think aloud protocol analysis, but it was carried out in
my students' native language (Indonesian). The results are more or less
like these:
In pre writing activities, female students made a lot more considerations
of the topic for their writings, while male students spent relatively
shorter time to decide what they wanted to write.
In the process of writing, female students made a lot more digression and
easily disturbed by their own thought and imagination. Male students spent
shorter time to finish their writing.
While reviewing what they had written, female students often questioned
the appropriateness of their writing, while male students did not care so
much of what they had written.

Since I wrote my report in Indonesian and was published in an
Indonesian journal, I can't send the article. Perhaps others can try with
EFL. If you want to know more on the details of the study, I am very happy
to explain more.

Esther Kuntjara Ph.D.
Petra Christian University
Surabaya, Indonesia.