Gender & ESL Writing

SILVIA MOLINA PLAZA Silvia.Molina at UCLM.ES
Wed Jun 20 06:39:50 UTC 2007

I wrote a thesis on language and gender in ELT textbooks in Spanish published by my University Press (UCLM) in 1997. Regards

Dr. Silvia Molina
Faculty of Arts
Avda Camilo José Cela s/n
13071 Ciudad Real
Spain

________________________________

De: International Gender and Language Association en nombre de Ekaterina Moore
Enviado el: mar 19/06/2007 23:49
Para: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Asunto: Re: Gender & ESL Writing

I am also writing a thesis on gender in EFL context, mine
is on gender representation in EFL textbooks. Sunderland
has written on the topic. YOu could find relevant articles
in "TESOL Quarterly"and TESL Canada Journal; Journal of
SEcond Language Writing might also be a good source for
your student. Here are some of the references that I found
that relate to my study. May be she'll find it relevant as
well.

Ekaterina Moore

Brantmeier, C. (2003). Does gender make a difference?
Passage content and
comprehension in second language reading. Reading in a
Foreign Language, 15 (1), 5-25.

Giaschi, P. (2000). Gender positioning in education: A
critical image analysis of
        ESLTexts. TESL Canada Journal/ Revue TESL Du Canada, 18
(1), 32-46.

Hartman, P.L., & Judd, E.I. (1978). Sexism and TESOL
materials. TESOL
        Quarterly, 12 (4), 383-393.

Jule, A. (2002) Speaking their sex; A study of gender and
linguistic space in an
ESL classroom.TESL Canada Journal/ Revue TESL Du Canada,
19 (2), 37-51.

Jones, M. (1997). Discourse roles, gender and language
textbook dialogues:
Who learns what from John and Sally? Gender and Education,
9 (4), 469-490.

Kubota, R. (2003). New approaches to gender, class, and
race in second
        language writing. Journal of Second language Writing, 12
(1), 31-47.

Lesikin, J. (1998). Determining social prominence: A
methodology for uncovering
  gender bias in ESL textbooks. College ESL, 8 (1), 83-97.

Porreca, K.L. (1984) Sexism in current  ESL textbooks.
TESOL Quarterly, 18 (4),
        705-724.

Rifkin, J. (1980). Gender representation in foreign
language textbooks: A case
study of textbooks in Russia. The Modern Language Journal,
82 (2), 217-236.

Sunderland, J. (2000). New understanding of gender and
language classroom
research: Texts, teacher talk and student talk. Language
Teaching Research, 4 (2), 149-173.

Sunderland, J. (2001). From bias “In the Text”
to “Teacher Talk Around the Text”.
An exploration of teacher discourse and gendered foreign
language textbook texts. Linguistics and Education, 11
(3), 251-286.

Yen, Y. (2000). Identity issues in EFL and ESL textbooks:
A sociocultural
perspective. (Doctoral dissertation, Ohio State
University, 2003). Dissertation Abstracts International 61
(5), 1772-A.