Gender & ESL Writing

Goretty Robles Fernández gorettyr at GMAIL.COM
Thu Jun 21 08:30:18 UTC 2007

Here you can find my master dissertation about gender and Spanish as
Second Language.

http://www.mec.es/redele/Biblioteca2006/GorettyRobles.shtml
ROBLES FERNÁNDEZ, GORETTY
Memoria de máster ( UNIVERSIDAD NACIONAL DE EDUCACIÓN A DISTANCIA, 2005)
La mujer en los manuales de E/LE: del estereotipo al personaje real e
histórico
There is a much shorter version in English (available on demand)
coming out in the IGALA-4 proceedings.

In redele there are other works along the line, i. e.
BARCELÓ MORTE ,   LOLA
Memoria de máster (UNIVERSIDAD DE BARCELONA, 2006)
Los estereotipos de género en los manuales de ELE. Estudio de las
representaciones de varones y mujeres en cuatro libros de texto
publicados en España entre 2003-2004
http://www.mec.es/redele/Biblioteca2006/LolaBarcelo.shtml
The cons all of them are in Spanish but with plenty of references in
English
Bieder, M. (1995). “Gender and language: The womanly woman and manly
writing”. L.
Charnon-Deutsch y J. Labanyi (Eds.), Culture and gender in nineteenth-
century Spain pp.
98-118. Oxford. Clarendon Press.
Blanco, A. (1995). “Gender and national identity: The novel  in
nineteenth-century Spanish literary
history”. L. Charnon-Deutsch y J. Labanyi (Eds.), Culture and gender
in nineteenth-century
Spain pp. 120-136. Oxford. Clarendon Press.
Clarke, E. E., Clarke, E. P., Watkins, E. M. y Giles, H. F. (1894).
List of the books in the library of the
woman’s building. World’s columbian exposition 1893. Chicago. Board
of lady managers
of the world’s columbian commission.
Conkey, M. W. y Gero, J. M. (1995). Engendering archaeology : Women
and prehistory. Oxford.
Blackwell.
Council of Europe (2002). Common european framework of reference for
languages: Learning,
teaching, assessment: Case studies. Strasbourg. Council of Europe.
Eckert, P. y Mcconnell-Ginet, S. (2003). Language and gender.
Cambridge. Cambridge University
Press.
Fischer, C. S. (1988). “Gender and the residential telephone,
1890-1940: Technologies of
sociability”. Sociological Forum, 3, 211-233.
Fletcher, A. C. y Russell, S. T. (2001). “Incorporating issues of
sexual orientation in the classroom:
Challenges and solutions”. Family Relations, 50, 34-40.
Leonardo, M. D. (1987). “The female world of cards and holidays:
Women, families, and the work
of kinship”. Signs, 12, 440-453.
Litosseliti, L. y Sunderland, J. (2002). Gender identity and
discourse analysis. Amsterdam. John
Benjamins Publishing Company.
— (2002). “Gender identity and discourse analysis. Theoretical and
empirical considerations”.
L. Litosseliti y J. Sunderland (Eds.), Gender identity and discourse
analysis pp. 1-39.
Amsterdam. John Benjamins Publishing Company.
Sunderland, J., Cowley, M., Rahim, F. A., Leontzakou, C. y Shattuck,
J. (2002). “From representation
towards discursive practices: Gender in the foreign language textbook
revisited”. L.
Litosseliti y J. Sunderland (Eds.), Gender identity and discourse
analysis pp. 223-255.
Amsterdam. John Benjamins Publishing Company.

Of course, all works by Sunderland are a must.

Goretty Robles Fernández
Alcañiz, 42 Puerta 6
Valencia 46019
gorettyr at gmail.com