SUM - language and heterosex

Joshua Raclaw Joshua.Raclaw at COLORADO.EDU
Mon May 14 21:17:53 UTC 2007

Thanks to all who replied with suggestions for research focusing on language and heterosexuality.  Attached is a sum of the recommended texts and an alternative suggestion for research in this area.

Balder, Sara. Language, Heterosexism, and Identity: Normative Chilean Discursive Practices. Unpublished Master's Thesis, University of Colorado at Boulder.

Coates, Jennifer. Chapter in Language, Sexualities, Desires ed Helen Saunston & Sakis Kyratzis, Palgrave 2007.

Kiesling, Scott Fabius. "From the 'Margins' to the "Mainstream':  Gender Identity and Fraternity Men's Discourse" in that same issue:  Spring 1997, Vol 20 #1, _Women and Language_

Kulick, D 2003 'No' _Language and Communication_ 23: 139-151.

Lazar, Michelle. 'Family life advertisements and the narrative of heterosexual sociality' in P.Chew and A. Kramer-Dahl (eds.) 1999. _Reading Culture: Textual
Practices in Singapore_.  Singapore: Times Academic Press.

Moita-Lopes, Luiz Paulo . ON BEING WHITE, HETEROSEXUAL AND MALE IN A
BRAZILIAN SCHOOL: MULTIPLE POSITIONINGS IN ORAL NARRATIVES. In: Anna de
Finna; Deborah Schiffrin; Michael Bamberg. (Org.). Discourse and Identity.
CAMBRIDGE: CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS, 2006, v. , p. 288-313.

Pujolar, Joan. (2001) Gender, heteroglossia and power. A sociolinguistic study of you culture. Berrlin: Mouton.

Pujolar, Joan. (1997) Masculinities ina multilingual setting. In johnson and Meinhoff Language and masculinity. Blacwell.

Remlinger, Kathryn. (2005). Negotiating the classroom floor: Negotiating ideologies of gender and sexuality. In M. Lazar (ed.), Feminist critical discourse analysis, pp. 114-138. New York: Palgrave/Macmillan.

Remlinger, Kathryn A. (1997). Keeping it straight: The negotiation of meanings in the constitution of gender and sexuality. Women and Language, 20 (1): 47-53.

Walker, Rachel. (2004), "Queer"ing identiy/ies: Agency and subversion in Canadian education. The Canadian Online Journal of Queer Studies in Education, 1 (1).

Check out Arnold Zwicky and Rudolf Gaudio - they operate on the assumption that gay speech can be characterised as <i>divergence</i> from a straight male heteronormative linguistic pattern rather than as a linguistic pattern per se.

All best,

Joshua

Joshua Raclaw - PhD student
Department of Linguistics