Fwd: CfP, Journal Launch: Culture, Society & Masculinities

Miriam Meyerhoff Miriam.Meyerhoff at ED.AC.UK
Sun Aug 31 19:41:29 UTC 2008

Apologies for any cross-posting. best, Miriam

Begin forwarded message:

> From: "Diederik F. Janssen" <diederikjanssen at GMAIL.COM>
> Date: 31 August 2008 19:46:23 BDT
> To: ASAONET at LISTSERV.UIC.EDU
> Subject: CfP, Journal Launch: Culture, Society & Masculinities
>
> [sincerest apologies for cross-posting]
>
> Culture, Society and Masculinities (CS&M) is a new peer reviewed
> journal to be launched Spring 2009 (ISSN print: 1941-5583 – ISSN
> online 1941-5591).
>
> The journal envisions bringing together synoptic as well as
> "micrographic" ideas and views on men/boys, masculinity and genders.
> It will provide a forum for emergent explorations of masculinity/ies,
> specifically those that situate local (micro-ethnographic) findings
> and theories in broader historical, political and/or sociological
> frameworks.
>
> Important themes, for instance, include the overarching relevance of
> South/North, East/West and local/global relations, as well as the
> Anglo-American hegemony in theory building around themes of
> masculinity/gender. We are especially inviting comparative views and
> work that rethinks, elaborates or critiques existing ideas and
> concepts of locality, globalization and regionalization in/of gender
> studies, both as a subject area and as a field of academic and
> political performance.
>
> Priority is given to reviews and critical discussions in theory
> development, policy trends and/or area studies. Pertinent fields of
> research include but are not limited to
>
> • ethnic, cross-cultural and trans-cultural studies
> • globalization studies, migration studies, and tourism studies
> • cultural, social, historical, comparative and philosophical
> anthropology
> • cultural psychology
> • culture & health studies
> • postcolonial studies
> • international relations and conflict studies
> • gender policy studies
> • social/human geography
> • international media studies; and
> • (art) historical studies.
>
> Manuscripts, review essays and book reports are currently being
> solicited for the second issue, to be published in Fall 2009. CS&M is
> published semi-annually, in print and digital format, by the Men's
> Studies Press. The primary language will be English.
>
> Flyer (PDF): http://www.mensstudies.info/CSM_flyer.pdf
> Author guidelines (PDF): http://www.mensstudies.info/
> CSM_author_guidelines.pdf
> Journal homepage: http://www.mensstudies.info/CSM.html
>
> A 312-page cross-cultural and historical bibliography, the
> International Guide to Literature on Masculinity, was published
> recently to support research in the line of the journal's scope. It
> has a specific chapter on Oceania and is available as e-book and in
> hardcopy from http://www.mensstudies.com/content/M65371/
>
> Diederik F. Janssen, MD, Editor
> MSP
> diederikjanssen[at]gmail[dot]com

Miriam Meyerhoff
Professor of Sociolinguistics
Language in Context Research Group
University of Edinburgh
Dugald Stewart Building
Edinburgh EH8 9AD
Scotland, UK

+33 131 651-1836 (direct line); 650-3961 (office)
www.ling.ed.ac.uk/~mhoff

Scotland, with registration number SC005336.