Cookbook references?

Sunderland, Jane j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Thu Dec 11 09:36:15 UTC 2008

Dear all

Please see message from Ana Tominc below. I have suggested that she
write this message for the list as cookbooks are likely to have been
written in a gendered way ('Good Housekeeping' etc.). Jamie Oliver is a
young popular UK chef, who does a lot of stuff on TV and agitates for
better food for those of us in the UK (e.g. school dinners).

Please reply to Ana not me or the List!

Best to all

Jane Sunderland

Dear all,

My name is Ana Tominc and I am a postgraduate student in Linguistics at
Lancaster University (Prof. Ruth Wodak is my supervisor). In my PhD
(which I have just begun) I would like to focus on the discourse of
Jamie Oliver. In particular, I intend to analyse what his cookbooks are
about (topic, narrative etc.), how they exist (genre and hybrids) and
how they are/can be translated ("localised" into a cultural background
distinctively other than its originals). The language of translation
that I will be looking at will be Slovenian.
While I am aware of some interesting work being already done about Jamie
Oliver and his discourse (Mary Talbot; Joanne Hollows; Guy Cook et al.)
I do not find many references in connection to the cookbook as a genre.
Also, I would like to get in touch with other people who do research
along these lines.
I would appreciate your help with the above. Your references regarding
cookbooks as genres (or similar) and any hints of other
students/researchers working along these lines would be very welcome.
Please send all suggestions directly to me (a.tominc at lancs.ac.uk) and
not to Jane Sunderland or to the GALA-L List.
Thanks for your help.

Ana