GALA-L subscriber issues

Mary Bucholtz bucholtz at LINGUISTICS.UCSB.EDU
Mon Jan 21 18:54:39 UTC 2008

Dear all,

As one of the GALA-L list owners, I'd like to raise a couple of subscriber
issues that have come up. First, in response to a subscriber inquiry, I've
looked into how to add the GALA-L list name to subject headings of messages
from the list, so that subscribers can identify GALA-L mail by the subject
heading. If you would like to do this, here's how:

Send an email to listserv at listserv.linguistlist.org with nothing in the
subject line and this in the body:

set gala-l subjecthdr

Messages you receive from the list will include [GALA-L] in the subject
heading if you request this option.

Second, given the number of private messages that have been inadvertently
sent to the list, it seems that it would be better to change the default
setting so that hitting "reply" will reply only to the individual sender
rather than to the entire list. This means that people who actually do want
to reply to the whole list will need to go to extra effort. If anyone
strongly objects to this planned change, please let me know in the next
week. Otherwise, I'll institute the change at the end of this month.

As a reminder, if you would like to make any changes to your subscription,
you can do so at:

<http://listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/gala-l.html>

The most common queries I receive involve problems with posting to the list
because of changes of address. You can check at the URL above to see what
email address you're currently subscribed under, and you can change your
address there as well.

Thanks,

Mary

Mary Bucholtz, Associate Professor