IGALA gender stereotypes

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Fri Jul 25 22:13:55 UTC 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 1:46 AM, bakhta abdelhay wrote:

> True there is  social sanction due to the resistance to the
> hegemonic order and the notion of freedom is chimerical, but how to
> interpret this individual flexibility in moving from from one
> community to another and all what is going around us, even in some
> arabo- islamic countries gender is very much challenged?

In my opinion, there is the possibility for individual flexibility
because the social characterizations of gender are superficial and
stereotypical. They're one size fits all. They are for mass
consumption. Real people aren't like the stereotypes. People bring
some imagination and intentionality to interpreting gender
stereotypes. We use language to style ourselves, displaying
membership, or non-membership, in social groups that are recognized
by particular gender displays.
Amy