body language

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Tue Mar 25 02:31:29 UTC 2008

There may not be much empirical descriptive work  that is reliable
that's been done.
To make generalizations from fact (not stereotypes) one would have to
analyze actual recorded data, and lots of it.
Technology for doing that is very new.

There is a journal called Gesture.
At the U of Texas, the proceedings for the First Int'l gesture
conference (about 2002) is on line at the "International House of
gesture" website in the School of Communication.

I think there's been some work on gender differences in smiling
behavior which predates digital techology.
The person whose work you'd want to access is Ekman. He's a
communication scholar and has been doing "nonverbal" research for a
long time.

Amy Sheldon