Daddies and mummies

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Fri May 2 03:02:12 UTC 2008

I agree,
and as to whether the girl is having fun...the girl is taking
instructions from the director to do each thing in a certain way with
certain emotions to make it believable.  There were rehearsals to get
it right.  what did the director tell the girl?
Does the body remember? How will the child "process" the body
memories she has of her actions?

Who IS this girl? And what's the back story of who permitted her to
be in this film... because she is underage and some parent would need
to give permission. Is she being paid/rewarded for her "work"/fun"?

The fact that all of these questions arise, indicates that this film
has effects beyond the moral tale it is telling.
I notice that the mother and the child are still victims of the
father, in this imaginary world. We don't see him, just imagine him.

The film has done nothing to empower  either of mother or daughter or
teach what them and the audience to DO in this situation. The mother
realizes the child's preoccupation and skill at reenactment of
brutality and that's one more preoccupation... the perp is coming
home....  no talk about shelter, escape, alternatives, etc.
There's a menace that still hangs around in the imaginary world.
Who is empowered?  what changes?

amy sheldon