Daddies and mummies

Jennifer Wells be at UTIFUL.COM
Fri May 2 17:14:12 UTC 2008

I think it depends how old the child is.  I showed it to my daughter who is in primary school.  She has already heard of these issues having just read a book for her age group (10-11yrs) where the main character came from a household of domestic violence.  My daughter thought that the film was 'important'.  She also said that she would be ok to act out something if she thought that the message in it was important and was for helping others.

On the other hand my 8 year old son thought it was a film about a little girl who was horrible to her dolls and she shouldn't be behaving like that.

I think that if the 'actor' has been chosen because she looks young then perhaps she could be the same age as my daughter and well able to understand the issues.

I'd like to think that the parents would have discussed all of the issues with the 'actor' before proceeding.....

Jennifer
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Campbell, Heather
  To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
  Sent: Friday, May 02, 2008 2:04 AM
  Subject: Re: [GALA-L] Daddies and mummies

  I must say, I agree with your concerns. Powerful film, but as an early childhood educator, I am extremely conflicted about this. There was a duty of care towards the wellbeing of the young child acting in this film, and I wonder if the possible benefits deriving from the film (that is, raising awareness of domestic violence and its effect upon children) justify the potential harm inflicted upon the child involved.

  Heather Campbell