Daddies and mummies

Valentina Pagliai Valentina.Pagliai at OBERLIN.EDU
Fri May 2 19:02:39 UTC 2008

I am Italian, and I too do not feel I can speak for all Italians. But
as a Tuscan of working class background, I can say the words used by
the girl actor did not bother me. Maybe we have a different upbringing.
Being direct, argumentative and coming out strong is a positive thing
and children are exposed to and learn to use fighting words early.

But even in the US there are studies showing that the middle class
ideal of avoiding foul language esp. in front of children are not
necessarily shared by everybody.
Working class mothers and minorities may have different views, as in
the following two articles.

Miller, Peggy 1986.  “Teasing as Language Socialization and Verbal
Play in a White Working-Class Community.”  In B Schieffelin & E. Ochs
(Eds.)  Language and Socialization Across Cultures.  Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press.  (Pp. 51-79).
Eisenberg, Ann 1986.  “Teasing: Verbal Play in Two Mexicano Homes.” In
B Schieffelin & E. Ochs (eds.) Language and Socialization Across
Cultures. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. (Pp. 199-212)

Also, Jennifer Reynolds has done studies on Guatemalan Mayan children
teasing each other and learning fighting words, and the ideologies
around the definition of "children" and "children in need of
protection".

As for the movie, I completely I agree with Amy's analysis.

For me, I found the movie kind of boring, nothing new, the usual
stuff. I was hoping for some parody or turnabout at the end but it did
not come. I thought it could have been done by a teenager for a
classroom project. Not really a powerful filmaker.
But itube itself is an interesting phenomenon, to a degree empowering.

Valentina Pagliai
Oberlin College