a question regarding business correspondence and minigrants available

cchaski at AOL.COM cchaski at AOL.COM
Fri Jul 10 13:42:09 UTC 2009

 Dear Colleagues,

I know that most of you have seen the gender guessers which are available on the web. I am working on validation testing of gender and age estimators and seeking business correspondence in letter and email form. I have the Enron dataset, my own dataset funded by USDOJ a few years back and case documents. If you know of other sources, I would love to hear from you!

The context of this project might also be interesting for some of you: one question is whether anonymous whistleblower complaints are authored more by women than by men. Since a recent discussion on this list had to do with women in power, it would be very interesting to discover if women whistleblowers write anonymously. I personally think whistleblowers are very powerful (yet oppressed) people.

On another note, my research organization is offering mini-grants in forensic linguistic research, and we are especially interested in gender, so I hope some of you will apply.  I have copied here the announcement which was made on the Linguist-List. The grants can be made to scholar/researchers who already hold the PhD as well as students.
Blessings and thanks,
Carole Chaski

1)
Date: 22-Jun-2009
From: Carole E. Chaski < cchaski at linguisticEvidence.org >
Subject: Mini-grants in Forensic Linguistics Available

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 16:55:41
From: Carole E. Chaski [cchaski at linguisticEvidence.org]

E-ma
il this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=20-2261.html&submissionid=221467&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

The Institute for Linguistic Evidence, Inc., is pleased to announce a grant
competition for research, data collection, and/or validation testing in
forensic linguistic methodology.

ILE plans to award a maximum of five mini-grants (US$500-US$2500) in summer
2009 for work to be completed in 2009. Validation testing and data
collection are the highest priorities, with preference for testing of
existing systems such as ALIAS. Grantees should have earned at least the MA
in linguistics, computer science or statistics, with the PhD or ABD
preferred. For an application packet, please contact, via email, Carole E.
Chaski, PhD, Executive Director, at cchaski at LinguisticEvidence.org.

Incorporated in Delaware, ILE was founded in 1998 as a 501(c)3 tax exempt,
research organization supported by grants and donations to develop reliable
methods for providing linguistic evidence in civil, criminal and security
investigations, and to provide validation testing for the determination of
error rates, best practices and standards for linguistic evidence. ILE
projects have been funded by the US Department of Justice, National
Institute of Justice, private philanthropy and industry. ILE software
development has produced ALIAS, the Automated Linguistic Identification and
Assessment System, components of which have been accepted as fully
admissible evidence in Federal and State courts. ALIAS implements
computational linguistic methods for authorship i
dentification, threat
letter assessment, suicide note assessment, gender and age assessment,
predatory text assessment, and intertextual relationship assessment.
Currently ILE has research relationships with scholars and practitioners in
the United States, Ireland, Switzerland, England, Canada and Nigeria. While
ILE focuses on research and development, services are provided through
ALIAS Technology LLC. ILE and ALIAS Technology LLC are located in
Georgetown, Delaware, home of the influential Delaware Chancery Court.

For more information, please visit:
http://www.LinguisticEvidence.org

Linguistic Field(s): Forensic Linguistics

LINGUIST List: Vol-20-2261