a question -- hearing what women have to say

Amy Sheldon asheldon at UMN.EDU
Thu Jul 16 05:35:03 UTC 2009

The following excerpt from a recent NYTimes.com Magazine article
titled, "The Place of Women on the [U. S. Supreme] Court" is of
interest for the point that Justice Ruth Ginsberg makes about men not
hearing [tuning out?] women's comments ---  voices --- in a
professional setting.  This issue has come up before on this list.
And it seems relevant to the issue of under-representation of women
in leadership positions.     Amy Sheldon

" Q: You are said to have very warm relationships with your
colleagues. And so I was surprised to read a comment you made in an
interview in May with Joan Biskupic of USA Today. You said that when
you were a young lawyer, your voice was often ignored, and then a
male colleague would repeat a point you’d made, and other people
would be alert to it. And then you said this still happens now at
conference.
JUSTICE GINSBURG: Not often. It was a routine thing [in the past]
that I would say something and it would just pass, and then somebody
else would say almost the same thing and people noticed. I think the
idea in the 1950s and ’60s was that if it was a woman’s voice, you
could tune out, because she wasn’t going to say anything
significant. There’s much less of that. But it still exists, and
it’s not a special experience that I’ve had. I’ve talked to
other women in high places, and they've had the same experience.

Q: I wonder if that would change if there were more women who were
part of the mix on the court?

JUSTICE GINSBURG: I think it undoubtedly would. You can imagine in
Canada, where [Beverly] McLachlin is the chief [justice of the
Supreme Court of Canada], I think they must have a different way of
hearing a woman’s voice if she is the leader."