Language, gender and the body

Sunderland, Jane j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK
Fri Mar 19 21:45:16 UTC 2010

I'm involved in the planning of a research project on 'Language, gender
and the body' which will look at understandings of 'body identities'
(e.g. the reproductive body,  the mutilated body) in different cultural
contexts. Can anyone suggest references here? (beyond Butler's 'Bodies
that Matter'). There's a lot of stuff on 'gender and the body', and
Wendy Harcourt's 'Body Politics in Development' looks particularly
relevant, but we're looking for work with a particular
language/discourse focus.

Suggestions much appreciated. If they come flooding in, I'll collate and
post them on the List.

Best wishes to all

Jane Sunderland