Language, gender and the body

Laura Coffey L.Coffey at HUD.AC.UK
Sat Mar 20 09:04:37 UTC 2010

Hi Jane

Have you seen Lesley Jeffries' 'Textual Constructions of the Female Body' (2007)? She looks at representations of the female body in UK women's magazines from a critical discourse analytic perspective, which might be useful to you.

Best wishes
Laura

Miss Laura Coffey
PhD student in English Language
School of Music, Humanities and Media
Room WG/26
West Building
University of Huddersfield
Queensgate
Huddersfield
HD1 3DH
UK
From: International Gender and Language Association [GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On Behalf Of Sunderland, Jane [j.sunderland at LANCASTER.AC.UK]
Sent: 19 March 2010 21:45
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: [GALA-L] Language, gender and the body

I’m involved in the planning of a research project on ‘Language, gender and the body’ which will look at understandings of ‘body identities’ (e.g. the reproductive body,  the mutilated body) in different cultural contexts. Can anyone suggest references here? (beyond Butler’s ‘Bodies that Matter’). There’s a lot of stuff on ‘gender and the body’, and Wendy Harcourt’s ‘Body Politics in Development’ looks particularly relevant, but we’re looking for work with a particular language/discourse focus.

Suggestions much appreciated. If they come flooding in, I’ll collate and post them on the List.

Best wishes to all

Jane Sunderland

---