Language, gender and the body

Cecilia E. Ford ceford at WISC.EDU
Sat Mar 20 16:12:58 UTC 2010

Just came across a couple of book reviews. Only one I can find at the moment. Might relate.
It is in the spring 2010 issue of Bitch magazine:

p 58

Book: The Black Body
Meri Nana-Ama Danquah. Ed.

Essays about Saartjie Bartman "a South African slave better know at the Hotentot Venus....a twentysomething when she was exhibited like a circus animal for Europeans because her bett was so large, comparatively speaking..."  This is a cllection of exxays. I ahve not read it, but they note that she only received a proper burial in her native country in 2002.

I will find the other article.

Ceci

Cecilia E. Ford
Professor of English and Sociology