MA in Gender and Language?

Anna Serpa bserpa at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 17 12:56:35 UTC 2010

Hello Ms. Sunderland, members of the list.

I tried to finish my research on Gender and Language here in Rio but it was simply impossible, as there are no courses in the area, at least not that could cover the vast spectrum of this kind of work. For example, UFRJ is basically gerativist -oriented, and even though you want to make a parallel with it and discourse analysis or sociolinguistics, you just won´t be able to make it, as bureocracy and the narrow scope of the studies are a problem.

I went on developing my work on my own, not belonging to any institution, with the help of a few fellow Neurosciences researchers, Psychologists and some Linguists. Even though, at least in Rio, the MA courses are not made for anything new but merely repeating some old theory, ergo, as the studies in Gender and Language are very broad and new, there are no courses in the area, at least not one that could really fulfill all the interrelations and connections that this kind of study demands.

Therefore, I now have a big and broad study and nowhere to present it, as it just won´t fit any academic line already proposed and they simply won´t open anything new.

Most thankful for your attention,

Anna Serpa