MA in Gender and Language?@Izabel

Anna Serpa bserpa at YAHOO.COM
Wed Nov 17 18:09:32 UTC 2010

Hello, Izabel.

Don´t mind me commenting your email. The problem with innovation is that, unfortunately, it´s not a part of language studies in Brazil, as most of Language colleges are a conservative niche per se.

In my study, for instance, I tried to bring sexuality to my research, connect it to brain studies and what I heard was that it was an inedit study and I would have to fit the frame. Likewise at all Language Colleges, the only one that would be more open were Psychology Colleges, but they wouldn´t have means to deal with the Linguistic issue and they woldn´t be able to make the study centres connect, because of bureocracy and because of professors. Most of them are much more worried than prove their theories than to be open to something new and don´t mind me saying, that´s why the Math courses and their correlates go much further than ours.

Unless Brazilian Language Colleges don´t reformulate their courses, forcing chance onto professors, letting some fresh air get in, we will never have  proper Gender and Language research, with all its possibilities and all it can contribute to Language Science and many other fields.

Best regards,

Anna Serpa