An international conference on women and the new media in Fez

Fatima Sadiqi sadiqi_fatima at YAHOO.FR
Sun Sep 19 16:59:07 UTC 2010

Dear friends and colleagues:

I am very
pleased to inform you that Isis Centre for Women and Development is organizing
an international conference on "Women and the New Media in the
Mediterranean Region" on June 24, 25 and 26, 2011 in Fez ,
 Morocco . We feel that with the growing dominance of the
Internet, blog, chat and mobile telephony, communication is rapidly changing
and becoming mobile, interactive, personalized and multi-channel. This
extraordinary  revolution is affecting the basic structure of
Mediterranean societies, especially those in the south, and is raising
discussions and debates that are profoundly related to women: the rapid
transformation of the boundaries between the public and the private spaces, the
relationship between the new media and women’s activism, the relationship
between new technology and women’s oral literature, changes in the relationship
between written and oral languages, the (problematic) increase in the use of
mother tongues (mainly oral) in the field of education, and the challenges of
new transmissions of women’s
versatile knowledge.  These issues constitute the five main axes of the conference.
We plan to bring together activists and researchers from
the Mediterranean region, North America and Asia . The upcoming conference is
a follow-up of the events that Isis Center has
been organizing since 2006.  The recommendations of the last 2010
international conference on “Marginalized women and social insertion” underlined
the importance of addressing women and the new social media in the
Mediterranean region and internationally. The outcomes of the upcoming
conference will not be just paper-based. In addition to publishing a volume on
the theme of the conference, we plan to link our activities with the Journal of
New Media Studies, supervise MA and PhD theses within international networks of
research on the theme, and train 15 local women in new media knowledge.
Given
our tight budget, potential participants are kindly asked to organize
their trip, board and lodging. We can make reservations at a nearby 4
stars hotel (Volubilis) with reasonable charges.  We will post the
program on our website (which will be ready soon). There is no
registration fee.

                        I hope to see you there

Fatima Sadiqi (for Isis) sadiqi_fatima at yahoo.fr
Senior Professor of Linguistics and Gender Studies (MA, PhD)
Co-Founder of the International Institute for Languages and Cultures (INLAC), Fez, Morocco  www.inlac.net
Director of the Isis Center for Women and Development
UN Gender Expert
President of the National Union of Women's Organizations www.nuwo.org
www.fatimasadiqi.on.ma