An international conference on women and the new media in Fez

atilade ayobami ayodestiny at YAHOO.COM
Fri Sep 24 10:06:15 UTC 2010

Thank you for this mail. May I say that I will be glad to be part of the conference. Kindly send me details as the preparation continues. I will like to have an idea of the estimated cost of air transport (from/to Nigeria) and other information that can help me plan for it.

Thank you

Kind regards
Kayode Atilade
Obafemi Awolowo University
Ile-Ife, Nigeria
--- On Sun, 9/19/10, Fatima Sadiqi <sadiqi_fatima at YAHOO.FR> wrote:

From: Fatima Sadiqi <sadiqi_fatima at YAHOO.FR>
Subject: [GALA-L] An international conference on women and the new media in Fez
To: GALA-L at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Date: Sunday, September 19, 2010, 12:59 PM

Dear friends and colleagues:

I am very pleased to inform you that Isis Centre for Women and Development is organizing an international conference on "Women and the New Media in the Mediterranean Region" on June 24, 25 and 26, 2011 in Fez , Morocco . We feel that with the growing dominance of the Internet, blog, chat and mobile telephony, communication is rapidly changing and becoming mobile, interactive, personalized and multi-channel. This extraordinary  revolution is affecting the basic structure of Mediterranean societies, especially those in the south, and is raising discussions and debates that are profoundly related to women: the rapid transformation of the boundaries between the public and the private spaces, the relationship between the new media and women’s activism, the relationship between new technology and women’s oral literature, changes in the relationship between written and oral languages, the (problematic) increase in the use of mother tongues (mainly oral) in
 the field of education, and the challenges of new transmissions of women’s versatile knowledge.  These issues constitute the five main axes of the conference. We plan to bring together activists and researchers from the Mediterranean region, North America and Asia . The upcoming conference is a follow-up of the events that Isis Center has been organizing since 2006.  The recommendations of the last 2010 international conference on “Marginalized women and social insertion” underlined the importance of addressing women and the new social media in the Mediterranean region and internationally. The outcomes of the upcoming conference will not be just paper-based. In addition to publishing a volume on the theme of the conference, we plan to link our activities with the Journal of New Media Studies, supervise MA and PhD theses within international networks of research on the theme, and train 15 local women in new media knowledge.

Given our tight budget, potential participants are kindly asked to organize their trip, board and lodging. We can make reservations at a nearby 4 stars hotel (Volubilis) with reasonable charges.  We will post the program on our website (which will be ready soon). There is no registration fee.

I hope to see you there

Fatima Sadiqi (for Isis) sadiqi_fatima at yahoo.fr
Senior Professor of Linguistics and Gender Studies (MA, PhD)
Co-Founder of the International Institute for Languages and Cultures (INLAC), Fez, Morocco  www.inlac.net
Director of the Isis Center for Women and Development
UN Gender Expert
President of the National Union of Women's Organizations www.nuwo.org
www.fatimasadiqi.on.ma