Fwd - [CLHLWR] Invitation for papers- narratives in/of translation-CNR Postgrad Research Day London

Chris chris.trundles at TISCALI.CO.UK
Tue Mar 20 01:56:11 UTC 2012

Please feel free to circulate this announcement, please reply to the
person below, not to the list or to me. with thanks
  - Chris

The Centre for Narrative Research, University of East London and

the NOVELLA ESRC Research Node, Institute of Education and UEL

To Think is To Experiment Postgraduate Research Day 2012

Invitation for papers on
'Narratives in/of Translation'

The Centre for Narrative Research organises the eleventh annual
Research Day for graduate students on 25 April 2012 in collaboration
with NOVELLA, Narratives of varied everyday lives and linked
approaches (NOVELLA). The event will take place at Docklands Campus,
University of East London. Over the last ten years, this has been an
exciting event with participants from all over the UK and Europe and
we look forward to meeting again for a friendly and productive day of
presentations and discussions.

To Think is to Experiment has been functioning as an intellectual and
narrative space for postgraduate students from various disciplines in
different stages of their research. Over the past years, the event
has hosted stimulating presentations and intense conversations on the
multiplicities in narrative-based research, approaches and
experiences. The event has also been a communication node for the
participants to build up further research connections.

The programmes and abstracts from previous years are available on CNR
website, http://www.uel.ac.uk/cnr/tothinkistoexperiment.htm

This year, we organise to Think is to Experiment with a special theme
of Narratives in/of Translation. Translation processes within
research context and surrounding questions have been a burgeoning
niche for the arguments about complexities and dilemmas of working
with material in multiple languages in intercultural research
settings. Among other disciplines and research practices, narrative
research is particularly interested in political and cultural
complexities involved in translation of narratives within research,
how the processes of translation function not only as a
linguistic but also a cultural performance of narrative exchanges.

We would like to invite postgraduate contributions which draw on
ongoing or recently completed research projects that involve
translation at any phase of the research. We welcome papers which
address the complexities of translation as part of the research
experience, which conceptually explore translation as one of the
layers in narrative analysis. We also welcome contributions which
reflect on experiences of translating narratives and surrounding
questions to be responded as well as creative ways that researchers
employ to tackle with these questions.

This is a call for papers for all research students. Participants can
contribute with a paper (15-30 minutes long) or poster about their work.
Please send an abstract (100-200 words) or just send two or three
lines if you want to make a brief presentation or poster to

Cigdem Esin, c.esin at uel.ac.uk <mailto:c.esin at uel.ac.uk> by 9 April 2012.

Please note that there is no fee for this event but the number of places is
limited.

We look forward to your response!