'Boyfriend style'

el don eldon at PANIX.COM
Fri Nov 23 23:54:25 UTC 2012

tribal identification through clothing styles. love it.
sounds like a great study. would love to be able to read it when done.

'boyfriend style' something akin to wearing your boyfriend's clothes,
but as a style, the tailoring must be just right so that it looks
like it's been made for a man, but it fits a female body, um,
properly.

versions of 'boyfriend style' reappear every so often. in the 60s
there was a style of wearing shirts and ties, and retro stylists
still effect this look sometimes. the blazer is a common element, as
are pants finishing just above the hip, just below the waist. jeans
with flies in front were not common women's apparel until the 60s
too...

who was that woman who dressed as man while still 'being' a woman at
the turn of the century? there's a watchable movie made about her
starring the wonderful judy davis i believe..

anyway, one book, not on boyfriend style, but on fashion generally
that you probably already know of, but which i particularly like is
fred davis' 'fashion, culture, and identity', uni of chicago press,
1992.
unfortunately, he doesn't seem to have done any more.

[btw, if anyone knows of any articles on the way that shoe styles
mimic the social status of women, could they please let me know
offlist - i remember reading a good article way back in the 70s,
before digital, but cannot find anything on this recently. have a
particular interest in the way that the fashion right now for women
is to totter about]

best,
lexie

--