Fwd - Feminist Archive South - Free Workshop Series Bristol Apr-July 2013

Chris chris.trundles at TISCALI.CO.UK
Fri Mar 1 15:30:12 UTC 2013

pass on as you wish via BCC - no need to reply - best wishes - Chris

Feminist Archive South - Workshop Series Apr-July 2013

As part of the Heritage Lottery project
<http://feministarchivesouth.org.uk/ellen-malos-archives-heritage-lottery-project/>Ellen
Malos’ Archives, we are holding a number of
free workshops based on Ellen's collection and
material in the
<http://www.bris.ac.uk/library/resources/specialcollections/archives/#feminist>Feminist
Archive South.

All the workshops will be held at
<http://mshed.org/>MShed, the people history museum in the centre of Bristol.

You don't have to have any prior knowledge of
archives, history, feminism or activism to take
part – but if you do this is also fine! We want
the workshops to be an environment where people
from different backgrounds, ages and experiences
can explore the treasure trove that is the Feminist Archive South.

The workshops are an opportunity to find out
about the things that interest you, with the
bonus that you may be inspired or learn something
new as you go along. The Feminist Archive South
holds material about a wide range of topics,
including documents relating to the organisation
of the Women's Liberation Movement (newsletters,
pamphlets, letters, conference programmes,
discussion papers), information about specific
campaigns (abortion and reproductive rights, rape
crisis, equal pay), around specific topics (women
in media, the arts, anti-racism, sexuality, law,
labour), as well as numerous publications such as
Spare Rib, Outwrite, Shocking Pink and Red Rag.

There will be guest speakers and each workshop
will be themed around particular part of the
collection or activity. As we know more we will
add details to the website
(<http://feministarchivesouth.org.uk>http://feministarchivesouth.org.uk)
so make sure you keep checking here to keep up to
date with the latest information.

Some workshops will ask participants to engage
creatively with the archive material, with the
aim of producing a response (e.g, a piece of
writing, an illustration, a spoken story) to what
is uncovered through rummaging in the archives.
These will be uploaded to the website, and will
be included in an educational resource at the end
of the project (permission from participants willing).

You can attend one of the workshops, dip in and
out, or attend all of them – its up to you.

Although workshops are free to attend, you will
need to book your place because spaces are
limited. Please contact
<mailto:fa_south at yahoo.co.uk>fa_south at yahoo.co.uk to express your interest.

For each workshop there are a number of
participation bursaries available for
participants who need to cover the cost of travel or childcare expenses.

MShed is a wheelchair accessible venue. Please
contact us if you have other access needs so we can provide them for you.

The workshop dates are as follows:
·
·         Tuesday 16th April –“ 7 to 9.30pm ‘What is an Archive?’

The introductory workshop will discuss what an
archive is, what archives do and why people
create them. It will ask if archives are
currently changing in the contemporary world with
the rise of digital technology, and explore why
documenting activist histories is important for future generations.
·
·         Sunday 12th May – 1 to 5pm
 > ·
·         Thursday 23rd May – 7 to 9.30pm
·
·         Sunday 9th June – 1 to 5pm
·
·         Tuesday 18th June – 7 to 9.30pm
·
·         Thursday 27th June – 7 to 9.30pm
·
·         Saturday 6th July –“ 1 to 5pm
·
·         Saturday 20th July – 1 to 5pm