Homonormativity, homonationalism and language

Lucy Jones Lucy.Jones at HULL.AC.UK
Tue Jun 24 09:39:02 UTC 2014

Homonormativity, homonationalism and language

This panel at the 22nd Lavender Languages and Linguistics conference (American University, Washington D.C, February 13-15 2015) will consider the impact of neoliberal discourses on the construction and representation of LGBT identities and communities. By homonormativity, we refer to Duggan’s (2003) argument that LGBT culture has become assimilationist and no longer rejects or contests dominant heteronormative assumptions and institutions. In referring to homonationalism, we invoke Puar’s (2007) claim that the queer body has been largely represented as a white one, leading to the othering of non-white bodies within LGBT culture.

Abstracts for papers which question, critique, offer insight into or explore the impact of homonormativity and/or homonationalism on modern LGBT speakers are welcomed. We would be keen to receive proposals which take a range of linguistic and theoretical approaches to this broad subject.

Please send proposals or questions to Lucy Jones at lucy.jones at hull.ac.uk<mailto:lucy.jones at hull.ac.uk> by Friday 7th November 2014.

For more information about the Lavender Languages conference, please visit:

http://www.american.edu/cas/anthropology/lavender-languages/index.cfm

-------------------------------------
Dr Lucy Jones
Lecturer in Linguistics
School of Languages, Linguistics and Cultures
University of Hull
Hull
HU6 7RX
UK