[Gala-l] IGALA9

Brian King igala9hk at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 15:21:33 UTC 2015

Dear all,

We are thrilled to announce that we have finally sent the Call for Papers
for IGALA9. We have emailed 200 addresses all around the world and we will
keep on emailing fellow scholars who might be interested in the conference.

We would appreciate if you could help disseminate the call for papers and
we hope to see you all in Hong Kong!

Please find the email we sent below:

Dear all,

We are writing on behalf of IGALA, the International Gender and Language
Association. We are delighted to announce the call for papers for our next
conference, IGALA9, which will take place at City University of Hong Kong,
Hong Kong on 19-21 May 2016. We have found your email address on the
website of your university, if this is not your field of research could we
ask you to forward it to those who might be interested? *Thank you!*

The theme for IGALA 9 is Time and Transition: Gender, sexuality, discourse
and language. This theme reflects Hong Kong, a city in which time and
transition are unusually salient and omnipresent themes in social life.
Working in this context has prompted the organizers to reflect on
timescales and transitions in relation to this conference. How do time and
transition interact with gender, sexuality, discourse and language? And how
is this interaction manifest in the rest of the world?

More specifically:
- How do gender, sexuality, discourse, and language intersect with rapid
change?
- How are transitions, discourse, language, gender, and sexuality mutually
constitutive?
- How are meanings discursively constructed across various timescales in
relation to gender and sexuality?
- How do short-term gender performances persist across time as we interact
in the present?
- How do we project our gendered and sexualized ‘selves’ and societies into
the future while drawing on the past?

We have invited six prominent scholars in the field of language, gender and
sexuality:  Sally McConnell-Ginet, Kira Hall, Mary Bucholtz, Peter A.
Jackson, Jie Yang, Tommaso Milani (
http://www.english.cityu.edu.hk/en/portal/igala/speakers.jsp)

*We now invite abstract submissions for two types of contributions:
Individual Papers and Panels (4 - 8 individual papers).*
Panel organisers are responsible for the invitation, abstract selection,
and the overall quality of the abstracts. You are welcome to post a call
for abstracts for your panel on our website to connect with potential
authors. If you would like to exercise this option, please send us an email
igala9hk at gmail.com with relevant information (panel title, a brief
description, and your email address for potential authors to contact you
directly).

Submission of Abstracts:

All submissions have to be made via our online ''EasyAbs'' page on Linguist
List: (
www.linguistlist.org/confservices/customhome.cfm?Emeetingid=6102JA4458BE925840A050441
).
Deadline for panel abstract submission is *30 October 2015*. Notification
of acceptance will be sent to authors in December 2015.

Deadline for individual paper abstract submission is *30 November 2015*.
Notification of acceptance will be sent to authors in January 2016.

Word limits for abstracts:

Panel overview (submitted by panel organizer) - 750 words
Individual panel contribution and individual paper - 500 words

Conference committee

Chair

Brian King

Members

Agnes Kang
Allyson Jule
Federica Formato
Mandy Hoi Man Yu
Ben Rowlett

Secretary

Winnie Cheng
You can find more information on the website of the conference:
http://www.english.cityu.edu.hk/en/portal/igala/ or visit our Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/IGALA9, Twitter @igala9  or contact us at
igala9hk at gmail.com
Best wishes,