[Gala-l] sexist language & language ideologies

ann coady b0049682 at my.shu.ac.uk
Fri Apr 22 11:52:27 UTC 2016

Hello all,
I'm currently doing a PhD on language ideologies and sexist language.
I was wondering whether anyone knows of studies which deal with sexist
language using a language ideology framework, specifically Irvine & Gal's
framework of iconization, fractal recursivity, & erasure.
I haven't come across any that use it for the analysis of sexist language.
As far as I'm aware, it's usually used for describing language conflict
e.g. Bloomaert (1999). Language Ideological Debates
<https://books.google.fr/books?id=ZDpy45ciwCQC&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false>.
And how languages have been described e.g. Irvine & Gal (2000). Language
ideology and linguistic differentiation
<http://web.stanford.edu/%7Eeckert/PDF/IrvineGal2000.pdf>.
Thank-you for your help,
Ann.