[Gala-l] Question about gay men of color being told they "sound white"

Michaël Gauthier Michael.Gauthier at univ-lyon2.fr
Wed Jan 27 18:51:51 UTC 2016

Hi Cécile (or "bonjour"...),

Concerning the topic of gay men speech (black or not), I suggest you take a look at the work of Erez Levon, from Queen Mary in London. Though not addressing black gay men in particular, I believe that at least part of his work could be interesting to you. Also, still concerning gay speech you can take a look at the work of Zac Boyd (http://www.ppls.ed.ac.uk/people/zachary-boyd) and contact him. He may be registered to this list by the way... Again, he is more into the gay identity of non-native speakers, but he knows a great deal about gay identity as a whole, so he may point you to more specific people/papers.

And concerning the questions of black/latino people sounding white, I suggest you contact Suzie Telep (http://univ-paris5.academia.edu/SuzieTELEP), who is studying that phenomenon.

These two people do not necessarily deal specifically with your area of interest, but maybe the combination of advice from the two may prove useful... Good luck anyway! : )

Best

Michael Gauthier
Université Lumière Lyon 2

"Cécile Evers " <cecile.evers at gmail.com> wrote:Hello all,
I am in the throes of a dissertation chapter that uses language as a lens on the intersection of race, gender, and sexuality in a particular ethnographic context in France.
As a counterpoint to my own research, a colleague suggested I take a look at research looking at how Black and Latino gay men in the US are often told they "sound white." Similarly, I would be interested in any research on hetero men of color who speak "standardly" being told they sound "gay," like "sissies," etc.
Might any kind soul among you have a reference or two for me?
Much appreciated,Cécile
Department of AnthropologyUniversity of Pennsylvania