[Gala-l] Question about gay men of color being told they "sound white"

Cécile Evers cecile.evers at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 17:15:21 UTC 2016

Hello all,

I am in the throes of a dissertation chapter that uses language as a lens
on the intersection of race, gender, and sexuality in a particular
ethnographic context in France.

As a counterpoint to my own research, a colleague suggested I take a look
at research looking at how Black and Latino gay men in the US are often
told they "sound white." Similarly, I would be interested in any research
on hetero men of color who speak "standardly" being told they sound "gay,"
like "sissies," etc.

Might any kind soul among you have a reference or two for me?

Much appreciated,
Cécile

Department of Anthropology
University of Pennsylvania