[Gala-l] From Agnes Kang: IGALA Exec Elections

Cashman, Holly Holly.Cashman at unh.edu
Thu Nov 17 11:26:39 UTC 2016

International Gender and Language Association (IGALA)
Voting for Executive Council Posts now OPEN!

We are pleased to announce the list of nominees for the IGALA Executive Council Posts of Secretary and VP/President-Elect. We wish to thank all candidates for their willingness to run for election and serve IGALA.

Below are the names and bios of all the candidates.

Voting is now open from 20 November until 20 December 2016 (before midnight, Hong Kong time).  You MUST be a current IGALA member in order to vote. If you have not renewed your membership for 2016 with Equinox, you can do so at:
http://www.equinoxpub.com/journals/index.php/GL/membership
A reminder that besides the right to vote, IGALA membership includes a subscription to the Gender and Language journal, allows you to submit abstracts and present at IGALA conferences, and to be involved in the Association's activities.

Notes on how to vote:

1. You can vote for ONE candidate in each category.

2. Candidates may vote for themselves.

3. To vote, please go to the following link and complete the form: https://goo.gl/forms/voboI7iQNRbWnd9D2

Please do not reply to this message. If you have any queries, please contact
Agnes Kang, IGALA President (makang at LN.edu.hk). Please ensure that your email has the subject header 'IGALA Exec Elections'.

We look forward to your votes and to your support of IGALA.

Agnes Kang
IGALA President

IGALA Executive Council Elections 2016

Secretary Bios:

Patricia Droz
It would be my honor and privilege to serve our IGALA as secretary. I have been a member of IGALA for a total of three years, having presented at IGALA 6 in Tokyo and, most recently, IGALA 9 in Hong Kong. My research is in workplace discourse, and my most recent focus has been working-class discourses. I earned my undergraduate degree from the University of Michigan--Ann Arbor (2003) and my masters (2009) and doctorate (2015) from Texas A&M University with Shari Kendall as my adviser.  I presently hold the appointment of Assistant Professor of Writing and Linguistics at the University of Houston--Clear Lake, a masters-granting, "Hispanic Serving" institution in Houston, Texas, USA.  I am uniquely qualified for the position of Secretary because I understand the conventions and demands of that role: I am the secretary for my university's writing program and enjoy the responsibility of maintaining the webpages for our separate Writing and Women's & Gender Studies programs. Should I be selected for the position, it would be my pleasure to bring my already-honed secretarial skills to the table and adopt any new ones necessary for this important IGALA post.

Kate Power
Kate Power is a critical discourse analyst, with research interests in gender/sexuality, religion and international development. She completed her PhD in Applied Linguistics as a mature-age student at Lancaster University, UK, in 2010, examining how people “give off” a sense of their religious identity when talking about contemporary social issues, such as Canadian multiculturalism. Kate has since published on discourse analytic methods, media representations of female religious leaders, and public debates around food security, and she is currently working on an edited volume involving linguists and economists addressing discourses of austerity.

Originally from Australia, Kate has taught discourse and society, genre theory, and academic research and writing at the University of British Columbia, Vancouver, Canada since 2011. She was Secretary for the International Gender and Language Association between 2014 – 2016, and is a Managing Editor for the journal Secularism and Nonreligion.

VP/President-Elect Bios:

Denise Troutman
Denise Troutman is an Associate Professor in the department of Writing, Rhetoric, and American Cultures and the department of Linguistics, as well as a faculty-affiliate with the African American and African Studies (AAAS) Program at Michigan State University (MSU). She is the winner of a 2001-2002 Fulbright Award and a 2003-2004 Postdoctoral Fellowship from the American Association of University Women (AAUW) Educational Foundation and an MSU 2009-2010 Humanities and Arts Research Program (HARP) Award.  From 2004-2007, Troutman served as Diversity Coordinator for the College of Arts and Letters.  Currently she is working on interrogations of politeness/impoliteness within the African American speech community, which she has presented in special lectures and conferences and which centers the focus of a current book manuscript.

Research interests: discourse analysis; linguistic im/politeness, especially within the African American speech community; African American women and language practices; Ebonics

Some publications that function as earmarks in my career:
Attitude and Its Situatedness in Linguistic Politeness. Poznan Studies in Contemporary Linguistics. 46(1), 2010, pp. 85–109.  [entrée into linguistic politeness as displayed in some contexts within African American women's speech communities]

“’They Say It’s a Man’s World, but You Can’t Prove that by Me’: African American Comediennes’ Construction of Voice in Public Space.” In Judith Baxter, ed., Speaking Out: The Female Voice in Public Contexts. Hampshire, Great Britain: Palgrave Macmillan, 2006: 217-239.  [coining & interrogation of "bawdy language" as a vehicle to broadening constructions of language and woman's place]

Culturally Toned Diminutives within the Speech Community of African American Women. Journal of Commonwealth and Postcolonial Studies. Vol. 4 No. 1, Fall 1996: 65-76.  [coining & description of culturally toned diminutives, a common practice in various contexts]

"Tongue and Sword: Which is to be Master?" In Geneva Smitherman, ed., African American Women Speak Out on Anita Hill-Clarence Thomas. Wayne State University Press, 1995, 208-223. [a contribution to the bravery & historic struggle of Anita Hill through discourse analysis of Hill and Arlen Spector exchanges]

Holly R. Cashman

I am an Associate Professor of Spanish Linguistics in the Department of Languages, Literatures, & Cultures and a core faculty member in Women's Studies at the University of New Hampshire (USA). My research focuses on Spanish in the U.S., bilingual language practices, and identities in interaction. I am currently working on a book titled Queer Latina/o & Bilingual: a critical sociolinguistic ethnography based on my research in Phoenix, Arizona. I was first elected to the advisory council of the International Gender and Language Association (IGALA) in 2011, and I was re-elected in 2015. As media officer, my primary responsibilities on the advisory council include managing the GALA-L listerv as well as the Facebook and Twitter accounts. Last year, I was successful at securing grant funding from the National Science Foundation to support the travel of 15 graduate students to IGALA 9 in Hong Kong. I am honored to be nominated for the VP/President-Elect position. I am committed to supporting IGALA’s mission to encourage the communication of research on language, gender, and sexuality both in academic contexts and beyond, and to support international networks among researchers on language, gender, and sexuality. I take an affiliative and democratic approach to leadership, so I would strive to foster communication and trust among the council members, as well as between IGALA members and the advisory council, inviting input and striving for consensus.

Allyson Jule

Allyson Jule, PhD, is Professor of Education and Co-Director of the Gender Studies Institute at Trinity Western University in Langley, BC, Canada. Professor Jule’s main area of research is Applied Feminist Linguistics within Education, with a particular concern for gendered teaching methods and classrooms as places that often reinforce gender-stereotyping. Her establishment and directing of the Gender Studies program at TWU has been a significant contribution. She has also done research on young women’s cancer narratives, gender and religious identity, and the role of media in portraying women’s experience.

Allyson is now President of Canada’s association of Women’s and Gender Studies et Recherches Féministes (WGSRF). See www.wgsrf.com for more information on this national association.

Allyson Jule was awarded the Davis Distinguished Teaching Award at TWU in 2011 for excellence in teaching – an award voted on by students in the graduating class. Her Gender Studies Institute won the coveted CSSE/CASWE Recognition Award in 2012 for significant contributions to the Study of Women in Education. This award recognized the significance of a strong feminist program at a conservative faith-based university in British Columbia’s Fraser Valley. The Gender Studies Institute at Trinity Western University includes a popular Gender Studies Minor program as well as monthly Gender Cafes open to the campus community and the community at large. Some events have included up to 1000 people, particularly the February 2015 event which invited two Gay Christian men to discuss their LGBTQ+ experiences inside evangelical Christian communities which challenged received views of LGBTQ+ inside the faith.

Allyson was also awarded the 3M Canada’s Teaching Fellowship in 2016, a lifetime fellowship of a select few university professors who have made significant teaching contributions to Higher Education. In this case, Allyson was honoured for her contributions to Women’s Studies and to teacher education through her course designs, including the travel studies to Cameroon with TWU pre-service teachers. She spent her sabbatical year (2015 – 2016) at the University of Oxford where she continues in her role as Visiting Research Fellow at the International Gender Studies Centre at Lady Margaret Hall. She has been active in the International Gender and Language Association (IGALA) since 2002.

Allyson Jule is the author of Gender, Participation and Silence in the Language Classroom: Sh-shushing the Girls (2004) and A Beginner’s Guide to Language and Gender (2008), She is also editor of five edited collections of sociolinguistics: Gender and the Language of Religion (2005), Being Feminist, Being Christian: Essays from Academia (2006), Language and Religious Identity (Palgrave 2007), Shifting Visions: Gender and Discourse (2015), and Facing Challenges: Feminism in Christian Higher Education and Other Places (2015). She has been widely published in journals such as (and/or served as reviewer for) Gender and Education, Women and Language, Canadian Children, and the Journal of Contemporary Religion.